19.8.10

In Which I Try to Resolve the Great Transcript Mystery

 Here is a copy of the e-mail that I sent today to both the registrar's and bursar's offices:

I attended the University of Maryland (College Park) from the fall 1985 until the end of spring 1987. It was not a glorious college career, and ended with academic dismissal. Life goes on.

In 2001, I applied for and took one course at Santa Monica College. My academic probation was lifted after receiving a 4.00 in that course. In 2002, I applied for and entered Portland Community College, ending up with an associate's degree in 2005. I will be finishing my undergraduate degree at Washington State University with the goal of a master's degree in library science from the University of Washington.

What can I say? Sometimes it takes a while to figure it all out.

On July 7, 2010, I sent a request and a check for official transcripts to be sent to Washington State University in Vancouver, Washington.

On July 16, 2010, my check was returned with a form letter saying that my request for official transcripts could not be processed because my records could not be found. A request for proof of my taking courses in the University System of Maryland was made, I assume so that further research could be done. Luckily, I had requested, and received copies of my University of Maryland transcripts in 2002, and still had them. I made copies of the form letter and of the transcripts dating from 2002, enclosed a check and a cover letter, and sent everything off. (See attached file for .pdf copy of those same transcripts.)

On August 10, 2010, my check was returned again. I received another copy of the same form letter, except that this time, I was informed that my request could not be processed at this time due to an undisclosed hold.

How odd.

On August 16, 2010, I called the 800-number that is on the letterhead of the form letter that I received. I spoke to a couple of different people and was assured that I would be contacted by phone no later than Wednesday, August 18th regarding my situation. I have not gotten that call.

I certainly understand that a lot can happen over 25 years. Even an unpaid parking ticket may come to light. It's also difficult sometimes to deal with the three hour time difference between Maryland and the state of Washington. I know, I spent a lot of years working with California clients while working in DC.

I would like to know what I need to do to expedite the sending of my official transcripts to Washington State University. If needs be, I will be happy to make arrangements to see to this matter in person.


Please note the subtle threat to show up. I hope they'll be so horrified at the prospect of dealing with a real person that we'll be able to get this show on the road. If not, well, impromptu trip home for this woman. Yay for scrapple at the Tastee Diner!

No comments:

Post a Comment